HISTORIC PHOTOS

The Rivedale-Fieldston Apartments circa 1930

The Fieldston-Riverdale Apartments (3875 Waldo Avenue), circa 1930 when the building first opened. 

Riverdale, a section of the Bronx in New York City, like much of the area, has a long history.  The neighborhood around 3875 Waldo and the building itself is full of history too. 

The building was built in 1929 and opened in 1930 to the first tenants.  It was touted as a luxurious full-service building with the most modern amenities of the time. 

 

Indeed, the entire fifth floor was purpose built to for in-house staff  and building maintenance.  Building services included a jitney to the railroad at Spuyten Duyvil.  Even the metal radiator enclosures were advertised as modern and convenient.

VIew from Brust Park to Manhattan College, circa 1938

A view circa 1938 across from 3875 Waldo Avenue showing Manhattan College.  Photo is taken from Brust Park which is immediately adjacent to 3875 Waldo.

1893 map of area, showing Dash Place.

CLICK image to see more

A plat map from 1893 showing area before 3875 Waldo Avenue was built.  Note that Waldo Avenue does not exist yet, but that Dash Place does.  The Building's 6th floor entrance fronts on Dash Place.

242nd St/ Van Cortlandt Park stop trolleys and subway, circa 1920?

The 242nd Street Subway stop on Broadway in 1908.

broadway-242nd-street-bronx-ny-1908-68_5

The 242nd Street Subway stop on Broadway in 1908.